Assistant Attorney General – Consumer Fraud
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- LAA 09350
- Salary Range:
- $7,100.00 - $9,000.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Monday, September 19, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Consumer Fraud
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203 - Hybrid Work Options
- Release Date:
- Friday, September 2, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Consumer Protection Section’s Consumer Fraud Unit is seeking an experienced attorney to join a hardworking and creative team of professionals protecting consumer rights in Colorado. The ideal candidate will have enforcement experience and a strong litigation background — but we welcome anyone with strong interest in interesting, complex litigation and protecting a fair marketplace for all. This position is a great opportunity to join a dynamic Unit and the successful candidate will develop and lead significant litigation to protect consumers in Colorado.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Consumer Fraud Unit is seeking a talented, enthusiastic, and experienced attorney with an enforcement background and a strong interest or background in consumer protection. The position will develop affirmative litigation on behalf of the attorney general, manage complex pre-filing investigations, and lead significant litigation to enforce Colorado’s consumer protection laws.
This is a generalist position—the ideal candidate will have a passion for learning new subject areas and bringing cases against a variety of businesses and individuals. Our cases vary significantly in size and scope and often involve extensive pre-filing investigations.
This Assistant Attorney General in the Consumer Fraud Unit is expected to handle a caseload and to independently conduct investigations and enforcement actions while supervising paralegals and staff. The attorney collaborates with other interested agencies on a state, local, or federal level, and at times oversees work product of others assigned to an examination or investigation, and may work with other states to pursue multistate litigation.
This attorney will regularly interact with members of the public, law enforcement, and fellow governmental agencies regarding the work of the Unit and creates and delivers training to these entities when needed.
Although the Consumer Fraud Unit seeks self-driven and motivated applicants, the individuals who will succeed in the position are team players and enjoy collaborating with their colleagues to achieve the best results for Colorado consumers.
This recruitment may be used to fill more than one Assistant Attorney General position from this recruitment.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
At a minimum, applicants must:
- Be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
Ideal candidates will have some, or all, of the following skills and attributes:
- Strong complex litigation experience in both federal and state court and the ability to effectively handle all aspects of litigation;
- Experience in leading investigations;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work on complex issues;
- Strong research and writing skills and a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to creatively solve problems through developing practical and imaginative solutions;
- Experience in negotiating settlements and working with opposing counsel;
- Ability to resiliently handle stress and demonstrate flexibility with changing circumstances;
- An effective and responsive communicator;
- Capable of independently managing a full workload;
- Goal-oriented and a self-starter who is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively; and
- Passionate and enthusiastic about having a career in consumer protection law and working on behalf of Colorado consumers
- Commitment to public service and diversity, equity, and inclusion
The Office of the Attorney General offers challenging, interesting, and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
Effective August 15, 2022, this position will require documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. New employees will be required to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination within three (3) business days of hire. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. In the event of serial testing, religious and medical exemptions and reasonable accommodation shall be addressed as required by law pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s vaccination guidance.