Assistant Attorney General – Consumer Fraud – Hemp/Cannabis Law
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- LAA 09889
- Salary Range:
- $7,100.00 - $9,000.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Monday, September 12, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Consumer Fraud
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203 - Hybrid Work Options Available
- Release Date:
- Monday, August 29, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Consumer Fraud Unit is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced attorney with an enforcement background and a strong interest in hemp and adult-use cannabis product legal issues to lead significant consumer protection litigation. The position offers the opportunity to join an energetic and dynamic team and playing a large role in protecting the consumers of Colorado.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Our newest attorney will develop affirmative litigation on behalf of the Attorney General, manage complex pre-filing investigations, and lead significant litigation enforcing Colorado’s consumer protection laws. This attorney will focus on the enforcement of C.R.S. 6-1-105(sss), which prohibits unfair and deceptive trade practices related to hemp, adult-use cannabis, and their derivatives, though the role is expected to take on other matters depending on Unit caseloads.
This attorney will handle a significant caseload and independently conduct investigations and enforcement actions while supervising paralegals and staff. The attorney will also collaborate with other interested agencies on a state, local, or federal level, and at times oversee the work product of others assigned to an examination or investigation. This individual will also work with other states to pursue multistate litigation and will regularly interact with members of the public, law enforcement, and fellow governmental agencies – creating and delivering training to these entities when needed.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in the Department of Law.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
At a minimum, applicants must:
- Be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
The Consumer Fraud Unit seeks self-driven and motivated applicants who ideally have hemp and adult cannabis experience. Further, successful applicants must be team players and enjoy collaborating with their colleagues to achieve the best results for Colorado consumers. Candidates should also have most, if not all, of the following skills and attributes:
- Strong complex litigation experience in both federal and state court and the ability to effectively handle all aspects of litigation;
- Experience in leading investigations;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work on complex issues;
- Strong research and writing skills and a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to creatively solve problems through developing practical and imaginative solutions;
- Experience in negotiating settlements and working with opposing counsel;
- Ability to resiliently handle stress and demonstrate flexibility with changing circumstances;
- An effective and responsive communicator;
- Capable of independently managing a full workload;
- Goal-oriented and a self-starter who is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively; and
- Passionate and enthusiastic about having a career in consumer protection law and working on behalf of Colorado consumers
The Office of the Attorney General offers the opportunity to be involved in challenging, interesting and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide. We strongly encourage candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Effective August 15, 2022, this position will require documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. New employees will be required to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination within three (3) business days of hire. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. In the event of serial testing, religious and medical exemptions and reasonable accommodation shall be addressed as required by law pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s vaccination guidance.
Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the most recent State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and current guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.
Please view the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.