Assistant Attorney General – Consumer Protection
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- LAA 0989X
- Salary Range:
- $6,800.00 - $8,500.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Monday, June 13, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Consumer Protection
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Thursday, May 12, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Consumer Protection Section is seeking multiple attorneys to join a hardworking and creative team of professionals protecting consumer rights in Colorado. The ideal candidates will have an interest in government enforcement and a willingness to work hard and dive in. These positions offer a great opportunity to join a dynamic Section and the successful candidates will work on some of our most important matters. In addition to joining an energetic team, this is a unique opportunity to work for a nationally-recognized leader in antitrust and consumer protection law—Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser. These are term-limited positions, expected to last from one to three years and eligible to receive full benefits. Each position will be re-evaluated periodically to determine need based on unit workload.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Consumer Protection Section is seeking talented and enthusiastic attorneys with a strong interest in in consumer protection. These individuals are expected to lead discovery efforts while contributing to high-level strategy.
The attorneys in these roles will have the opportunity to take on significant matters handled by the section. The attorneys will work on consumer fraud, opioid, and antitrust investigations and litigation. The attorneys may have the opportunity to handle their own caseload and conduct investigations and enforcement actions while supervising paralegals and staff. The attorneys may also support the Antitrust Unit in its current docket of complex litigation pending in federal court. Responsibilities may include directing and assisting with discovery efforts, such as document review, preparation for depositions and other pre-trial activities, researching legal issues, and clearly communicating with other lawyers on the team, including from other state attorneys general offices.
Though the positions are term-limited, , attorneys will act as full team members on our most important cases. The Section seeks self-driven and motivated applicants andthe individuals who will succeed in the position are team players and enjoy collaborating with their colleagues to achieve the best results for Colorado consumers.
The Department of Law may fill additional Assistant Attorney General positions from this recruitment.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
At a minimum, applicants must:
- Be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
Ideal candidates will have some, or all, of the following skills and attributes:
- Complex litigation experience in both federal and state court and the ability to effectively handle all aspects of litigation;
- Experience in government investigations, for either plaintiff or defense;
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work on complex issues;
- Strong research and writing skills and a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to creatively solve problems through developing practical and imaginative solutions;
- Experience in negotiating settlements and working with opposing counsel;
- Ability to resiliently handle stress and demonstrate flexibility with changing circumstances;
- An effective and responsive communicator;
- Capable of independently managing a full workload;
- Goal-oriented and a self-starter who is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively; and
- Passionate and enthusiastic about having a career in consumer protection law and working on behalf of Colorado consumers.
The Office of the Attorney General offers challenging, interesting, and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Effective September 20, 2021, employees will be required to attest to and verify whether or not they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. Upon hire, new employees will have three (3) business days to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination. Vaccinated employees must provide proof of vaccination.
Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the most recent State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and current guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.