Assistant Attorney General- Office of the Utility Consumer Advocate Unit
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $7,100.00 - $9,000.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Office of the Utility Consumer Advocate
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Wednesday, February 1, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Consumer Protection Section, Office of the Utility Consumer Advocate Unit is seeking an experienced attorney to join a hardworking and creative team of professionals protecting consumers in public utility proceedings brought before the Colorado Public Utilities Commission. This is a great opportunity for attorneys who are passionate about representing the public interest, and specifically the interests of residential, small business and agricultural customers and addressing climate change, environmental justice and Colorado’s decarbonization goals. In addition to joining an energetic team, this is a unique opportunity to work for a nationally-recognized leader in antitrust and consumer protection law—Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser.
The Office of the Utility Consumer Advocate (UCA) Unit represents the Colorado Office of the Utility Consumer Advocate. The UCA Unit is responsible for representing the public interest and specifically the interests of residential, small commercial, and agricultural consumers in gas and electric proceedings, as well as in rulemaking proceedings before the Colorado Public Utilities Commission (“PUC”). In representing the public interest, the UCA Unit also gives due consideration of the state’s decarbonization goals, environmental justice and workforce transitions. The Unit occasionally appears in state courts of appeal generally addressing decisions issued by the PUC. The UCA Unit currently is comprised of five attorneys and a legal assistant.
This AAG will have the opportunity to work with a multi-disciplinary team of rate/financial analysts, economists, and engineers in the UCA to handle all aspects of preparing for and presenting consumer positions on cases before the PUC. This work includes preparing motions, briefs, written discovery requests and responses, written pre-filed direct, answer and cross-answer testimony, conducting direct examination and cross examination in hearings before the PUC, participating in settlement negotiations, and addressing post-hearing matters. This AAG will also appear in rulemaking proceedings, draft proposed or revised rules, analyze pending legislation, and will help with outreach efforts for the Office of the Utility Consumer Advocate Unit .
This recruitment may be used to fill more than one Assistant Attorney General position in the Department of Law.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
At a minimum, applicants must:
- Be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
Ideal candidates will have some, or all, of the following skills and attributes:
- Litigation experience, including drafting pleadings, motions and legal briefs, written discovery requests and responses; and conducting direct and/or cross examination of lay and/or expert witnesses
- Experience conducting hearings before the Colorado Public Utilities Commission or utility commissions in other jurisdictions
- Eagerness and enthusiasm for the work and for working together as a team
- Outstanding communication and effective negotiation skills
- Knowledge of public utility regulation by the PUC and of the role of the OCC
- Knowledge of the state’s decarbonization goals
- Undergraduate degrees relating to business, public policy, economics, financial analysis, environmental issues, renewable energy, and/or electric and gas utility engineering
The Office of the Attorney General offers the opportunity to be involved in challenging, interesting and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide. We strongly encourage candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel website.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.