Hemp/Cannabis Criminal Investigator II ($2,000 Sign-On Bonus)
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $8,170.00 - $9,100.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Monday, December 19, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Consumer Protection
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Thursday, December 1, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Consumer Protection Section is seeking an experienced Hemp/Cannabis Criminal Investigator II to join a dedicated and collaborative team that strives to protect Colorado consumers from fraud and other unfair and deceptive practices. This position provides the opportunity to work on a wide variety of cases and collaborate with attorneys and paralegals committed to an important and fulfilling mission. Your casework will have a valuable impact on the community while also offering a work-life balance. If you’re interested in joining a dynamic team of public servants, apply today!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The work of the Investigations Unit in the Consumer Protection Section involves a hybrid of criminal and civil law enforcement. The Unit conducts investigations of unlawful conduct statewide, often coordinating with other law enforcement and regulatory agencies within Colorado and outside of the State, including County District Attorneys, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The Unit supports complaint triage and case development as primary functions and provides training and technical assistance to other law enforcement agencies and promotes and participates in a variety of consumer outreach and educational efforts.
The Hemp/Cannabis Criminal Investigator II will evaluate and follow-up on consumer complaints that come to the DOL through various channels but primarily though www.stopfraudcolorado.com. The position conducts investigations of deceptive trade practices and violations of other Consumer Protection Laws, analyzes intake and referral information to determine the existence of Consumer Protection violations, scope and pattern of unlawful activity, and direction of the investigation before making recommendations about next steps.
- Analyzes assigned Hemp/Cannabis and general consumer complaints to determine the existence of Consumer Protection violations, scope and pattern of unlawful activity, direction of the investigation, relevance of information and evidence collected
- Meets with and interviews witnesses, complainants, proprietors, prospective licensees, and others to obtain information relating to the investigation for enforcement, compliance, or eligibility purposes
- Compiles data by collecting documentary evidence, examining records, executing subpoenas/search warrants, reviewing electronic data (including online), and rearranging data into a useable format, such as spreadsheets and databases.
- Reviews and analyzes evidence of financial, business, and other records.
- Maintains chain of custody and viability of evidence
- Assembles evidence for case development and prosecution through evidentiary hearings and trial
- Prepares witnesses, exhibits, and physical evidence for trial; testifies and advises the assigned attorney at court and other proceedings
- Provides investigative, supervisory and logistical assistance on assigned cases, leads a team including but not limited to, other investigators, paralegals, program assistants,forensic accountants, and provides assistance to local, state and federal agencies
- Provides instructional services, technical advice, and training to other governmental agencies
- Confers with law enforcement, prosecutors, and other entities to convey and obtain information relevant to an investigation, provides technical assistance and training and develops and maintains rapport to ensure cooperation in the conduct of investigations
- Serves as a specialized expert for other law enforcement and regulatory agencies
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This recruitment may also be used to fill other Criminal Investigator II positions at the Department of Law.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution AND
- Two years as a full-time sworn detective or sworn criminal investigator at the felony level for a government law enforcement agency as the main function of your job. Investigative experience associated with general street patrol duty will not fulfill this requirement. AND
- Must be Colorado P.O.S.T. certified at the time of application (see “Conditions of Employment” below for more information)
- Knowledge and experience conducting Hemp and Cannabis investigations
- Knowledge and experience investigating financial crimes or other anti-fraud work
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Experience with complex criminal and compliance cases, determining investigation strategy, assembling evidence for case development and prosecution through evidentiary hearings and trial
- Ability to compile and evaluate data using spreadsheets, databases or other tools
- Experience with on-line research and background assessment tools
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent judgment and decision making
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Relevant State of Colorado Experience
Substitutions: Professional investigative experience as a sworn detective or criminal investigator at the felony level for a government law enforcement agency, will substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis. Investigative experience associated with general street patrol duty will not fulfill this requirement.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Candidates must be Colorado P.O.S.T. certified at the time of application. In accordance with C.R.S. §24-31-303 (5)(a) and (b), applicants must be Colorado P.O.S.T. certified, including the requirement of completing a physical and psychological evaluation (if it has been more than three years since a physical and psychological evaluation has been conducted). Following a conditional job offer, but prior to appointment, a candidate not meeting the requirement of C.R.S. §24-31-303(5)(b) will be subject to a physical and psychological evaluation to determine fitness to serve as a peace officer. Must be proficient with a handgun.
- Applicants must pass a thorough criminal and personal background check, including a review of the personnel file from prior employment.
- Position may be required, sometimes on short notice, to work outside of regular business hours, including possible early mornings, evenings, weekend, and overnight assignments as necessary to conduct fast-paced investigations, execute search warrants, and prepare for trial.
- Position must have a valid CO driver’s license and may be required to travel within and outside the State of Colorado.
- Effective August 15, 2022, this position will require documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. New employees will be required to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination within three (3) business days of hire. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. Religious and medical exemptions and reasonable accommodation shall be addressed as required by law pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s vaccination guidance.Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the most recent State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and current guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.