Senior Paralegal (Legal Assistant II)
- Business & Licensing
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $5,572.00 - $7,600.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Wednesday, December 7, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Wednesday, November 23, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Sign-On bonuses will be paid based on the following timeline:
$500.00 – Time of hire
$500.00 – Time of certification (typically 12 months after hire)
This position is open only to Colorado state residents.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The mission of Business and Licensing is to provide legal counsel, advice, and litigation services to the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA), Department of Agriculture, the Independent Ethics Commission, the State Personnel Board, and various other independent state boards and commissions.
The Section also prosecutes licensed professionals for violations of their practice acts. These violations can include substandard work, substance abuse or diversion, and criminal conduct which impacts the licensee’s practice. Business & Licensing also represents clients in licensure denial actions, litigates civil enforcement, injunctive actions and subpoena enforcement actions along with providing general counsel regarding legislative/policy matters, rulemaking and case analysis.
This position exists to provide legal assistance to attorneys representing and advising the Medical, Podiatry, and State Personnel Boards, along with numerous director-model programs, by reviewing, organizing and drafting legal pleadings and settlement documents; reviewing, organizing and summarizing medical, criminal, and other types of records; investigating and confirming factual information; organizing documents, witnesses, and court reporters for depositions and hearings; and performing necessary legal assistance services to unit attorneys. This position functions as a liaison between attorneys, client agencies, opposing counsel, the public, expert witnesses, other sections of the Department of Law, the Office of Administrative Courts, and state or federal trial and appellate courts. This position also contributes to office-wide projects as needed, and will support other legal assistants in other units within the Section depending on workloads.
The Department of Law has multiple Paralegal vacancies in sections throughout the Department. This recruitment may be used to fill other positions at the Department of Law.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a dedicated public servant who want to be a part of very important work and thrive in a fast paced, inclusive, and collaborative environment.Minimum Qualifications: Please document all relevant experience in detail on your application. Experience will not be inferred or assumed. Any part-time experience listed will be prorated.
- Paralegal certificate obtained through either an American Bar Association (ABA) approved paralegal studies program or an accredited institution.
- One year of paralegal experience. Paralegal experience must include conducting legal research, preparing drafts of legal documents, and gathering and compiling data from legal references and resources.
Substitutions: Two years of work experience in a paralegal capacity which included conducting legal research, preparing drafts of legal documents, and gathering and compiling data from legal references and resources will substitute for the required certificate. A Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school may substitute for the required certificate.
Note: Candidates possessing a foreign degree must submit a translation (evaluation) of their degree from an accredited institution, such as The National Association of Credential Evaluations Services in order to be given credit for the degree.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Effective oral and written communication with internal and external customers
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills
- Ability to research, analyze, and compile data
- Time-management skills, including the ability to multi-task and effectively manage competing priorities in order to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work well with a diverse range of customers and work collaboratively on a team
Preferred Qualifications: In addition to the minimum qualifications, if you possess any of the following specifically include the details on your application. This information will be used to assess your qualifications and may be used to determine a top group of applicants.
- Experience as a paralegal, which includes conducting legal research, preparing drafts of legal documents, and gathering and compiling data from legal references and resources.
- Experience supporting attorneys with case management
- High proficiency in Excel
- Knowledge of the litigation process
- Experience working in a government, public service, or medical setting
- Familiarity with ProLaw or similar case management and billing system
- Experience working in a paralegal or directly related medical capacity for the State of Colorado
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
Effective September 20, 2021, employees will be required to attest to and verify whether or not they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. Upon hire, new employees will have three (3) business days to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination. Vaccinated employees must provide proof of vaccination.
Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.