Staff Accountant – Accountant II
- Position Number:
- LAA 00632
- Salary Range:
- $4,457.00 - $6,523.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Monday, November 7, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Financial Services
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203 - Hybrid Work Options Available
- Release Date:
- Friday, September 30, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The Department of Law is seeking an experience accountant to join their hard-working team. This position is best suited for someone with outstanding attention to detail, dedication to innovation, enthusiasm for customer service, and desire to learn. The Staff Accountant works on a variety of accounting projects and is the department go-to when it comes to the Payment Portal. If you’re looking for an opportunity to use your accounting and technical skills to advance the mission of the Attorney General’s office, apply today so we can learn more about you!
This position is open only to residents of Colorado.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Staff Accountant supports the accounting function within the Department of Law, which includes serving as one of two accountants for grants. This position will be solely responsible for managing the Financial Services Payment Portal, including creating and providing training and job aides, managing workflow of accounting document submissions, and ensuring compliance with all applicable State and departmental rules and policies. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for entering and reviewing accounting entries, performing analysis, and interpretation of accounting and other fiscal data, recommending procedural or policy changes based on best business practices and professional accounting standards, and applying State fiscal rules and departmental policies.
Specific duties include:
- Performing day-to-day accounting operations of the department, including managing individual workflow to ensure that all accounting transactions are processed accurately and in a timely manner, maintaining files that include appropriate and sufficient supporting documentation for all accounting transactions and are in accordance with applicable retention requirements, ensuring internal fiscal policies are followed by departmental units, and monitoring and maintenance of accounting controls.
- Encumbrance accounting, including designing processes for encumbrance accounting. Grant accounting, including monitoring all granting deadlines and monitoring all grant transactions.
- Management of the Financial Services Portal in SharePoint.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple Accountant positions in the Department of Law.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in accounting. AND
- Two years of professional accounting experience which included demonstrated application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution which included 27 semester hours of accounting or auditing coursework will substitute for the degree requirement.
- Professional accounting experience (equivalent to duties described above) will substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Current, valid licensure as a CPA by the Colorado Board of Accountancy will substitute for the degree requirement.
- An advanced degree (Masters or Doctorate) in Accounting may substitute for 1 year of the required experience.
- Accounting experience in a governmental agency
- Experience applying generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and/or State Fiscal Rules
- Experience working in accounting or financial services at the State of Colorado
- Experience with SharePoint
- High technical aptitude and ability to use technology to create and manage financial services
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and be adaptable to changing priorities
Necessary Required Competencies:
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Proficiency with MS Office suite, particularly Excel Knowledge of accounting theory
- Excellent customer service
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
Effective August 15, 2022, this position will require documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. New employees will be required to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination within three (3) business days of hire. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. Religious and medical exemptions and reasonable accommodation shall be addressed as required by law pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s vaccination guidance.