Staff Accountant (Accountant II)
- Position Number:
- LAA 00632
- Salary Range:
- $4,370.00 - $6,395.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Friday, June 17, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Financial Services
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Tuesday, May 24, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Department of Law (DOL) is seeking an experience accountant to join their hard-working team. This position is best suited for someone with outstanding attention to detail, dedication to innovation, enthusiasm for customer service, and desire to learn. The Staff Accountant works on a variety of accounting projects and is the department go-to when it comes to the Payment Portal. If you’re looking for an opportunity to use your accounting and technical skills to advance the mission of the Attorney General’s office, apply today so we can learn more about you!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
This position supports the accounting function within the Department of Law, including serving as one of two accountants for grants. This position will be solely responsible for managing the Financial Services Payment Portal, including creating and providing training and job aides, managing workflow of accounting document submissions, and ensuring compliance with all applicable State and departmental rules and policies. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for entering and reviewing accounting entries, performing analysis, and interpretation of accounting and other fiscal data, recommending procedural or policy changes based on best business practices and professional accounting standards, and applying State fiscal rules and departmental policies.
Specific duties include:
- Performing day-to-day accounting operations of the department, including managing individual workflow to ensure that all accounting transactions are processed accurately and in a timely manner, maintaining files that include appropriate and sufficient supporting documentation for all accounting transactions and are in accordance with applicable retention requirements, ensuring internal fiscal policies are followed by departmental units, and monitoring and maintenance of accounting controls.
- Encumbrance accounting, including designing processes for encumbrance accounting.
- Grant accounting, including monitoring all granting deadlines and monitoring all grant transactions.
- Management of the Financial Services Portal in SharePoint.
Salary note: Although the full salary range is listed, starting salary is typically set at or below the range midpoint. Salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple Accountant positions in the Department of Law.
This position is open only to current residents of the State of Colorado.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in accounting. Transcripts are required with application. AND
- Two years of professional accounting experience which included demonstrated application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution which included 27 semester hours of accounting or auditing coursework will substitute for the degree requirement.
- Professional accounting experience (equivalent to duties described above) will substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Current, valid licensure as a CPA by the Colorado Board of Accountancy will substitute for the degree requirement.
- An advanced degree (Masters or Doctorate) in Accounting may substitute for 1 year of the required experience.
- Accounting experience in a governmental agency
- Experience applying generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and/or State Fiscal Rules
- Experience working in accounting or financial services at the State of Colorado
- Experience with SharePoint
- High technical aptitude and ability to use technology to create and manage financial services
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and be adaptable to changing priorities
Necessary Required Competencies:
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Proficiency with MS Office suite, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of accounting theory
- Excellent customer service
Conditions of Employment:
- Hybrid working arrangement for the Financial Services Unit requires that the successful candidate works in the office a minimum of 3 days per week.
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Effective September 20, 2021, employees will be required to attest to and verify whether or not they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. Upon hire, new employees will have three (3) business days to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination. Vaccinated employees must provide proof of vaccination.
- Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the most recent State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and current guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.