Find a rewarding career making a difference:
Join the Office of the Attorney General/Colorado Department of Law Team!
The Office of the Attorney General/Colorado Department of Law is the largest law firm in the State. The Attorney General is elected by popular vote of the statewide electorate and is the State's chief lawyer and law enforcement official.
Attorney General Cynthia H. Coffman oversees the Department and manages a wide range of responsibilities, including:
• Prosecuting and defending all civil and criminal actions in which the State has an interest, including on appeal
• Defending the laws and the Constitution of the State of Colorado
• Protecting consumers from scams and fraudulent activity
• Serving as legal advisor to officers of the State of Colorado and defending them from legal challenge
• Protecting and preserving Colorado’s natural resources
• Advocating for policies that help law enforcement improve community safety
• Investigating and prosecuting Medicaid fraud throughout the State
In addition to the challenging and impactful work being done at the Office of the Attorney General/Colorado Department of Law, there are many other benefits to joining the Attorney General’s team:
• Distinctive career advancement opportunities throughout the State system
• Strong, secure, yet flexible retirement benefits including PERA’s Defined Benefit Plan or PERA’s Defined Contribution Plan, including 401K
and 457 plans
• Medical and dental health plans
• Paid life insurance
• Short and long-term disability coverage
• Paid vacation and sick leave earned each month
• 10 paid holidays per year
• Free access to a fitness center located in the Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center
• Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible work schedules, professional development opportunities, and an employee discount program
The Office of the Attorney General/Department of Law is an equal opportunity employer and understands that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. We encourage candidates with diverse qualities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply.
Information about the Job: Attorneys in the Criminal Appeals Section are Colorado’s prosecutors at the criminal appellate level, and defend felony convictions before the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court. They also defend Colorado convictions in habeas corpus actions before the federal district court and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Every attorney handles motions, briefs, and oral arguments.
Job Qualifications: Applicants must be licensed to practice law in Colorado or clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar with one year of relevant experience in state or federal courts. The successful applicant must demonstrate a commitment to criminal appellate work; an aptitude for legal analysis and critical thinking; and the ability to write clear, concise, persuasive briefs. The caseload is very heavy, and the ability to prioritize and process a large volume of work is a must.
All final candidates for employment must successfully pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
Please submit your cover letter, resume (clearly indicating your Colorado bar admission date), three professional references and a short writing sample by email to:
Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center
1300 Broadway, 9th Floor
Denver, CO 80203