Find a rewarding career making a difference:
Join the Office of the Attorney General/Colorado Department of Law Team!
The Office of the Attorney General/Colorado Department of Law is the largest law firm in the State. The Attorney General is elected by popular vote of the statewide electorate and is the State's chief lawyer and law enforcement official.
Attorney General Cynthia H. Coffman oversees the Department and manages a wide range of responsibilities, including:
• Prosecuting and defending all civil and criminal actions in which the State has an interest, including on appeal
• Defending the laws and the Constitution of the State of Colorado
• Protecting consumers from scams and fraudulent activity
• Serving as legal advisor to officers of the State of Colorado and defending them from legal challenge
• Protecting and preserving Colorado’s natural resources
• Advocating for policies that help law enforcement improve community safety
• Investigating and prosecuting Medicaid fraud throughout the State
In addition to the challenging and impactful work being done at the Office of the Attorney General/Colorado Department of Law, there are many other benefits to joining the Attorney General’s team:
• Distinctive career advancement opportunities throughout the State system
• Strong, secure, yet flexible retirement benefits including PERA’s Defined Benefit Plan or PERA’s Defined Contribution Plan, including 401K and 457 plans
• Medical and dental health plans
• Paid life insurance
• Short and long-term disability coverage
• Paid vacation and sick leave earned each month
• 10 paid holidays per year
• Free access to a fitness center located in the Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center
• Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible work schedules, professional development opportunities, and an employee discount program
The Office of the Attorney General/Department of Law is an equal opportunity employer and understands that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. We encourage candidates with diverse qualities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply.
Job Duties: The Department of Law is looking for an energetic attorney who enjoys public service to provide litigation and general counsel assistance to the Colorado Division of Insurance (Division). This attorney will be part of a team in the Insurance Unit of the Business & Licensing Section of the Colorado Attorney General’s Office.
Litigation on behalf of the Division may involve licenses (revocation and application denial) and insurance companies in matters pertaining to numerous types of insurance including health, long-term care, life, property and casualty (auto/home), preneed funeral contracts, and commercial bail and immigration bonding. Litigation is conducted in the Office of Administrative Courts, state districts courts, the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Colorado Supreme Court. This attorney will also provide general counsel assistance to the Division in areas such as legislation and rulemaking.
Job Qualifications: Must have a license to practice law in Colorado (or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar), a minimum of three years of experience practicing law, and demonstrated litigation, analytical, oral, written, and negotiation skills. A working knowledge of insurance law and administrative law is also required. The successful candidate will be skilled at maintaining strong client relationships and must be able to eventually assume his or her own caseload with minimal supervision.
All final candidates for employment must pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
Please submit a cover letter, resumé and a writing sample (no more than 10 pages) via email to:
Maria Ruiz, Office Manager
Business and Licensing Section
Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center
1300 Broadway, 8th Floor
Denver, Colorado 80203