Assistant Attorney General – Cross-Unit Litigation
- Civil Litigation and Employment Law
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $6,941.00 - $9,000.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Monday, May 8, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Cross-Unit Litigation
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Monday, April 24, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Colorado Department of Law, Civil Litigation Section is recruiting for two Assistant Attorney General positions on the Cross Unit Litigation Team. This team handles complex and often high-profile civil cases across a wide range of subject areas. This is a unique opportunity to work with a group of trial attorneys with deep litigation experience handling a variety of complex civil litigation matters. In this role, you will work on challenging, interesting, and meaningful cases in a collaborative environment. If you want to work on diverse matters that are significant to the State of Colorado, this is the job for you.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Cross Unit Litigation Team partners with subject matter experts in other Units and Sections across the Department of Law on cases in a wide variety of practice areas, from natural resources to higher education to complex civil rights. In this role, you will have an opportunity to work on large, often high-profile, civil litigation matters for the state. Given the nature of the work, you will lead large cases and litigation teams and carry a substantial caseload, including class actions, cases involving important constitutional challenges, and cases with important legal ramifications and/or state-wide impact. You will also provide litigation advice on cases led by others.
You will perform all aspects of litigation, including motions practice, discovery, preparing witnesses for depositions and trial, defending against class certification, preparing cases for trial, trying cases in both state and federal court, attending mediation and arbitration, and briefing and arguing appeals before the Colorado Court of Appeals, the Colorado Supreme Court, and the U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. In addition, you will have the opportunity to serve as a mentor to less experienced attorneys, partnering with them to help develop their litigation skills.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Applicants eligible to waive into the bar must be eligible to Practice Pending Admission.
We need strong litigators for this role, so our ideal candidates will have at least some, if not all, of the following skills and attributes:
- Demonstrated competency across all facets of litigation, including trials and appeals, and deep and varied experience with complex civil litigation cases
- Diverse practice experience. Experience in the following areas would be particularly valuable: tort, employment, civil rights, sovereign and qualified immunity
- Experience with class action litigation
- Outstanding writing and analytical skills
- Strong leadership, mentorship, and coaching skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety and diversity of personalities
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and public service
- Ability to pivot and focus on different areas of law
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrated dedication to client service
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel website.
Please view the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.