2022-2023 Collection Agency Online Renewal now Available
Please note: The Renewal and Annual Report to be submitted online, via the Licensing Community portal!
The 2022-2023 Collection Agency (for currently licensed agencies) is now available, via the Licensing Community portal. The renewal must be submitted electronically, via the Licensing Community portal. The General Mailings contact for each agency should have a login for the portal.
The 2022-2023 Collection Agency Renewal is available, via the Licensing Community portal. For more information, view the Collection Agency Renewal webpage.
The CFDCPA applies to the following collection agencies or debt collectors:
- Located within this state;
- Outside this state and collects or attempts to collect from consumers who reside within this state for a creditor with a place of business located within this state;
- Outside this state and regularly collects or attempts to collect from consumers who reside within this state for a creditor with a place of business located outside this state; or
- Outside this state and solicits or attempts to solicit debts for collection from a creditor with a place of business located within this state;
- Debt/judgment buyers who are now the owners of debts that were in default at the time they acquired ownership of those debts;
- Creditors that collect their own debts using another name which would indicate that a third person is collecting or attempting to collect such debts.
Attorneys engaged in debt collections do not need a collection agency license but must comply with the substantive provisions of the CFDCPA and are subject to the Administrator’s enforcement authority.
Collection agencies that collect only commercial, business, investment, and agricultural purpose debts are not subject to the CFDCPA and do not need a collection agency license.
Creditors, defined in section 5-16-103(7), C.R.S., who collect their own debts in their own name are not subject to the law and do not need to be licensed.
Application & Forms
- Licensing Community Portal (link for active licensees to login to download and/or print license)
- Address Change Form
- Collections Manager Change Form (includes Collections Manager Form)
- Personal Affidavit
- Financial Statement
- Bank Account Information
- Out-of-State Trust Account Affidavit
- Surety Bond
- Branch Location List
- Collector and Solicitor List
- License/Registration Verification