Assistant Attorney General (Securities)
- Business & Licensing
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $83,292.00 - $120,000.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Monday, May 15, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Financial & Health Services
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Friday, March 31, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The Business & Licensing section of the Colorado Department of Law is seeking a dedicated and driven attorney to do securities and financial services work for our Financial & Health Services team. As a dedicated public servant, you will help protect Coloradans through the state’s regulation of the securities and financial services industries. Further, you will have the opportunity to do both litigation and general counsel work. If you are seeking an intellectually challenging position handling financial issues and want to directly impact the lives of Coloradans, apply today!
Applications for this position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews may be conducted prior to the job closing. We encourage you submit your application early if possible.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Financial & Health Services Unit represents the Colorado Division of Securities, and other programs within the Business & Licensing Section, including the Division of Banking and Division of Financial Services. This work promotes consumer protection through regulating, licensing, and taking disciplinary action against the respective licensees, and pursuing securities fraud matters on behalf of the Securities Commissioner.
The attorneys on our team represent our clients’ interests in a variety of settings, including civil litigation in District Court. The position also involves an administrative law practice before the Office of Administrative Courts, as well as practice before the Colorado Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. Additionally, our work involves advising our clients in all aspects of their regulatory functions and responsibilities, including assisting with promulgation of rules, open meetings, and open records law requests. This attorney’s primary role will be to serve as litigation counsel to the Colorado Division of Securities, although the attorney will also gain valuable experience serving as general counsel for various securities and financial services regulatory boards. This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced attorney who is eager to work in a multi- disciplinary team and enjoys both litigation and general counsel advising.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple attorney positions in the Department of Law.
Salary note: The Department of Law uses a wage progression compensation model. Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
New ranges will go into effect for employees starting after July 1, 2023.
Attorneys with less than 3 years of experience as a practicing attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General I (AAG I). The salary range for an AAG I is $83,292-$92,400/annually.
Attorneys with more than 3 years of experience practicing as an attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General II (AAG II). The AAG II salary range is $96,420-$120,000/annually.
Current salary range is $7,100-9,000/month through June 30, 2023.
Salary will be paid on a biweekly basis for any new employees starting after July 1, 2023
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Qualified applicants must be licensed to practice law in Colorado or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
For this role, we are seeking candidates who have substantive and practical legal training, including clerkships and fellowships; experience as a prosecutors or litigators; and/or those whose diverse experiences and background would add value to the Department of Law and our clients.
Essential skills for this position:
- Ability to manage a heavy caseload
- Comfortable litigating cases and advising clients in a general counsel role Excellent research, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide advice on complex matters Enjoys wearing different hats, sometimes multiple times per day
- Committed and eager to serve the public in a consumer protection-related role
- Enthusiastic about working with a smart, collaborative, and fun team – while still able to work independently and exercise strong professional judgment
THIS POSITION REQUIRES TWO WRITING SAMPLES. PLEASE REVIEW THE “HOW TO APPLY” SECTION OF THE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel website.
- The final candidate for employment must successfully pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and believes that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply.