Assistant Attorney General – Specialized Business Group and Property Tax Unit
- Revenue & Utilities
- Position Number:
- LAA 09050
- Salary Range:
- $83,292.00 - $120,000.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Friday, June 16, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Specialized Business Group & Property Tax
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Thursday, May 18, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Specialized Business Group and Property Tax Unit is seeking an attorney to join its flexible and collaborative legal team. The Unit offers the opportunity to practice in a challenging area of law that frequently presents novel legal questions that have a substantial impact on Coloradans, including on state and local revenue and public safety. Attorneys advise and represent the Department of Local Affairs and the Department of Revenue on issues including limited gaming, racing, sports betting, mobile home park regulation, automobile dealers, and licensure, taxation and registration of motor vehicles. This team enjoys working together and is comprised of 7 attorneys and 2 paralegals.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
This attorney will join the Revenue & Utilities Section as a member of the Specialized Business Group and Property Tax Unit. This Unit represents several divisions and commissions within the Colorado Department of Revenue and Department of Local Affairs:
- Mobile Home Park Oversight Program*
- Motor Vehicle Division
- Lottery Division and Lottery Commission
- Gaming Division and Limited Gaming Control Commission
- Racing Division and Racing Commission
- Auto Industry Division and Motor Vehicle Dealer Board
- Division of Property Taxation*
*With the Department of Local Affairs
These client agencies are responsible for licensing and regulating businesses and individuals in each of these areas and industries. Representation will include general counsel and advice, as well as litigation in judicial and administrative forums.
This attorney will handle a diverse caseload of significant administrative, licensure, and disciplinary actions for the Mobile Home Park Oversight Program in the Department of Local Affairs and will assist in ensuring fairness in housing and protecting against abuses. The attorney may also advise and represent the Limited Gaming Commission, Colorado Racing Commission, The Colorado Lottery, and Division of Property Taxation. Cases range in complexity from license denials or administrative discipline to complex appeals before the appellate courts. The attorney will also provide written general counsel and advice regarding rulemaking, legislative review, policies and processes, open meetings and open records laws, and all aspects of the client’s responsibilities. The attorney will also assist with representing other Unit clients.
Salary Note: The Department of Law uses a wage progression compensation model. Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. New ranges will go into effect for employees starting after July 1, 2023.
Attorneys with less than 3 years of experience as a practicing attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General I (AAG I). The salary range for an AAG I is $83,292-$92,400/annually.
Attorneys with more than 3 years of experience practicing as an attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General II (AAG II). The AAG II salary range is $96,420-$120,000/annually.
Salary will be paid on a biweekly basis for any new employees starting after July 1, 2023.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Qualified applicants must be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel.
Further, while we know that no candidate is perfect, we are seeking applicants that have many of the following attributes:
- Experience with a variety of litigation or general counsel experience, with consideration given for judicial clerkships or post-graduate legal fellowships
- Strong analytical and writing abilities.
- Excellent self-awareness and judgment.
- Confidence to handle a significant caseload right out of the gate.
- Well-developed client service and interpersonal skills.
- Passion for producing excellent work product and keen attention to detail.
- Background and familiarity with administrative and constitutional law.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with clients.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and public service.
Conditions of Employment
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- The Specialized Business Group and Property Tax Unit functions on a hybrid work model. Employees are expected to work in the office 3 days a week, minimum, usually Tuesday-Thursday.
The Office of the Attorney General offers challenging, interesting, and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please view the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.