Assistant Attorney General – Water Resources/Water Conservation
- Natural Resources
- Position Number:
- LAA 09070
- Salary Range:
- $83,292.00 - $120,000.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Friday, May 26, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Water Resources
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Thursday, May 11, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Water Resources Unit and the Water Conservation Unit of the Natural Resources and Environment Section are seeking an experienced attorney with a passion for Colorado water law and a desire to work on the appropriation, adjudication, administration, and protection of surface and groundwater water rights on behalf of the people of Colorado. Few law practices offer a comparable opportunity to work with the leaders of state agencies and water users across the state to optimize the beneficial use of Colorado’s water supplies in each of Colorado’s unique river basins and aquifers. The State of Colorado is a longstanding leader in prior appropriation systems of western states and a more recent leader in the integration and conjunctive use of surface and groundwater supplies that are vital to our livelihoods. Colorado is also a front runner in protecting the environment under the Colorado Water Conservation Board’s water rights for instream flows and natural lake levels.
Application will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Interested parties are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Water Resources Unit represents the Colorado Division of Water Resources (DWR), which includes the Office of the State Engineer, the seven Division Engineers, the Dam Safety Section, the Colorado Groundwater Commission, and the Colorado Board of Examiners of Water Well Construction and Pump Installation Contractors. The successful candidate will represent these clients in administrative and judicial proceedings. This attorney will represent DWR in various water matters, including applications for new water rights, changes of water rights, plans for augmentation, objections to well permit issuances and denials, enforcement of curtailment and other administrative orders, appeals of agency decisions, the promulgation of agency rules, and other water rights related matters.
The Water Conservation Unit represents the Stream and Lake Protection Section of the Colorado Water Conservation Board (CWCB) in the acquisition, adjudication, and protection of instream flow water rights. The Unit also advises the Finance Section and the Watershed and Flood Protection Section of the CWCB in implementation of their programs, as well as represents other state agencies in the adjudication and protection of water rights.
This Assistant Attorney General may work for one or both of the units described above. The attorney will advise clients on a wide variety of programs and substantive and procedural legal issues and primarily represent DWR or the CWCB in administrative and judicial proceedings. This work will include handling water right matters, enforcement actions, and appeals of water court decisions or final agency actions, and providing advice and representation to our clients on rulemaking proceedings.
Salary Note: The Department of Law uses a wage progression compensation model. Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. New ranges will go into effect for employees starting after July 1, 2023.
Attorneys with less than 3 years of experience as a practicing attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General I (AAG I). The salary range for an AAG I is $83,292-$92,400/annually.
Attorneys with more than 3 years of experience practicing as an attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General II (AAG II). The AAG II salary range is $96,420-$120,000/annually.
Current salary range is $7,100-9,000/month through June 30, 2023.
Salary will be paid on a biweekly basis for any new employees starting after July 1, 2023.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Be admitted to the Colorado bar or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Applicants eligible to waive into the bar must be eligible to Practice Pending Admission.
For this position, we are most interested in candidates with strong experience in civil litigation, including trial experience and experience with Colorado water law, the State Administrative Procedures Act, rulemakings, negotiating settlements, and transactional work.
We are also seeking candidates who have:
- A genuine enthusiasm for water law
- Excellent writing, analytical, and oral advocacy skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle a heavy caseload and work well independently and as a team member
- Desire and ability to be responsive and timely in all communications to clients and colleagues
- Confidence to work well with technically and legally sophisticated clients
- Eagerness to be resourceful and to take initiative to learn complex subject matter
- Interest in growing professionally and in being a contributor to the Dept. of Law community
- Willingness to periodically travel within the State.
The Office of the Attorney General offers challenging, interesting, and meaningful work. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel website.
Please view the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.