Assistant Deputy Attorney General- Civil Rights
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- LAA- 09907-01/23
- Salary Range:
- $11,000.00 - $14,500.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Consumer Protection
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Wednesday, January 18, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The Colorado Department of Law is seeking a dedicated public servant to lead the new Civil Rights team within the Consumer Protection Section. The Civil Rights team will work toward enforcement with three areas of focus- fair housing, workers’ rights, and civil rights. This is a rare opportunity for an attorney seekling high-level government experience to develop and implement these programs protecting the citizens of Colorado.
Applications for this position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews may be conducted prior to the job closing. We encourage you submit your application early if possible.
The work of the Civil Rights team will focus primarily on the areas of fair housing, workers’ protection, and civil rights. This includes:
- Enforcing state laws protecting Colorado tenants and residents against fraud, abuse, and discrimination in housing
- Enforcing state law to protect Colorado workers from worker misclassification related to unemployment and wage theft
- Providing advice to the Colorado Civil Rights Division on employment, fair housing, and public accommodation discrimination matters and prosecuting employment, fair housing, and public accommodation discrimination complaints from the Colorado Civil Rights Commission
- Conducting investigations of patterns and practices of public entities depriving citizens of their civil rights
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General is responsible for overseeing the Attorney General’s affirmative authority for protecting civil rights of Colorado’s citizens, including hiring staff, designing processes and procedures, and promoting collaboration, engagement, integrity, and exceptional legal service for this team. This position will supervise the First Assistant Attorney General for our Pattern and Practice, assistant attorneys general, investigators, and other staff hired for this team, consistent with the values of the Department of Law that recognize that members of the Department of Law are public servants, principled, innovative, and better together. The Assistant Deputy Attorney General reports to the Deputy Attorney General for the Consumer Protection and participates in management and leadership teams for the Section and the Office.
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General will partner with the Deputy Attorney General in monitoring legislative and legal developments related to civil rights, workers’ rights, fair housing, public accommodation, and other priorities of the Attorney General.
As the Assistant Deputy Attorney General of the Civil Rights team, you will have the opportunity to:
- Work in partnership with the department leadership to develop and implement new program areas for enforcement of workers’ rights and housing rights.
- Develop and expand the department’s authority to conduct pattern and practice investigations and enter into and monitor consent decrees.
- Manage the overall work of the division and supervise a staff including First Assistant Attorneys General, Assistant Attorneys General, administrative staff, and investigators.
- Develop a supportive and inclusive culture in line with the vision and values of the Department of Law; considering diversity, equity, and inclusion in decision-making; and fostering collaboration, teamwork, and professional development for staff.
- Work with the Section Deputy and Attorney General on strategic direction, policy development, legislation, and media relations; and preparing monthly, annual, and fiscal year reports on division activities.
- Collaborate with clients and attorneys throughout the office on a wide variety of legal issues and strategy, and assist in general counsel work, rulemaking, and legislative review.
Assistant Deputy Attorney Generals at the Department of Law ensure the unit consistently provides high-quality legal representation. The Assistant Deputy is expected to handle a caseload which may include high profile or complex cases in the division and to supervise other staff in the division. The Assistant Deputy Attorney General serves as a frontline leader and is responsible for employee performance management activities and assisting the Deputy Attorney General with personnel, budget, and various administrative duties affecting the work of the Unit and the Department of Law.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in the Department of Law.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General for the Civil Rights team is part of the Office of the Attorney General/Department of Law leadership team. As such, the strongest candidates will demonstrate excellence in the following competencies.
Communication & Listening – Inspires confidence through active listening and effective communication with the public, leadership, colleagues, and staff.
Flexible & Adaptable Management – Accepts, adapts, and contributes positively to change; leads with new concepts and ideas; and encourages others to be equally adaptive and flexible.
Coaching & Developing People – Invests in our talent through coaching and sponsorship and by pushing individuals outside of their comfort zones to grow as professionals.
Creative & Strategic Problem Solving – Takes a result-oriented, open-minded, and innovative approach to overcoming challenges and dealing with crises.
Enterprise & Growth Mindset – Balances the desires of the public, leadership, colleagues, and staff with the broader interest of the enterprise.
Client Service, Interpersonal Skills, and Emotional Intelligence– Demonstrates and models self- awareness, self-regulation, empathy, and sensitivity in working with members of the public, colleagues, and staff.
Applicants for the Assistant Deputy Attorney General position must meet the following criteria:
- Qualified applicants must be licensed to practice law in Colorado or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
- 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney that includes significant complex litigation experience
- Supervisory or management experience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
In addition to the criteria above, the ideal candidate for this position will also have the following attributes:
- Demonstrated dedication to client service
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and public service
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and believes that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- The final candidates for employment must successfully pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel website.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.