Assistant Deputy Attorney General – Corporate Fraud
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- LAA 09414
- Salary Range:
- $11,000.00 - $14,500.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Consumer Protection
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The Colorado Department of Law is recruiting for the Assistant Deputy Attorney General of Corporate Fraud. We are seeking an experienced attorney to lead a new organizational team within the Colorado Department of Law to oversee the existing Medicaid Fraud Control Unit and also implement and enforce the newly enacted Colorado False Claims Act. This is an exciting opportunity to represent the Attorney General in leading investigations, bringing or intervening in civil and criminal cases to hold fraudulent actors responsible, and recovering critical funds meant to further the business and interests of the State. This is a great role for an attorney with passion for public service and pursuing and holding fraudulent actors accountable to ensure that Colorado’s funds are spent on promises delivered, not on misrepresentations made or false pretenses.
This position offers a rare opportunity for attorneys seeking high-level government experience to serve the citizens of Colorado. The Office of the Attorney General offers the opportunity to be involved in challenging, interesting, and meaningful work in a collaborative environment supported by leadership committed to consumer protection.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As an Assistant Deputy Attorney General, you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop and implement new program areas described above, in partnership with the Attorney General and department leadership.
- Manage the overall work of Corporate Fraud and supervise a staff including the COMFCU First Assistant Attorney General, assistant attorneys general, administrative staff, and investigators.
- Develop a supportive and inclusive culture in line with the vision and values of the Department of Law; considering diversity, equity, and inclusion in decision-making; and fostering collaboration, teamwork, and professional development for staff.
- Work with the Section Deputy and Attorney General on strategic direction, policy development, legislation, and media relations; and preparing monthly, annual, and fiscal year reports on Corporate Fraud activities.
- Collaborate with clients and attorneys throughout the office on a wide variety of legal issues and strategy and may assist in general counsel work, rulemaking, and legislative review.
Assistant Deputy Attorney Generals at the Department of Law lead in important priority areas and ensure that their team consistently provides high-quality legal representation. The Assistant Deputy is expected to handle a caseload which may include high profile or complex cases in the Corporate Fraud and to supervise other staff in the units. The Assistant Deputy Attorney General serves as a frontline leader and is responsible for employee performance management activities and assisting the Deputy Attorney General with personnel, budget, and various administrative duties affecting the work of the Corporate Fraud team and the Department of Law.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in the Department of Law.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General is part of the Office of the Attorney General/Department of Law leadership team. As such, the strongest candidates will demonstrate excellence in the following competencies.
Communication & Listening – Inspires confidence through active listening and effective communication with the public, leadership, colleagues, and staff.
Flexible & Adaptable Management – Accepts, adapts, and contributes positively to change; leads with new concepts and ideas; and encourages others to be equally adaptive and flexible.
Coaching & Developing People – Invests in our talent through coaching and sponsorship and by pushing individuals outside of their comfort zones to grow as professionals.
Creative & Strategic Problem Solving – Takes a result-oriented, open-minded, and innovative approach to overcoming challenges and dealing with crises.
Enterprise & Growth Mindset – Balances the desires of the public, leadership, colleagues, and staff with the broader interest of the enterprise.
Client Service, Interpersonal Skills, and Emotional Intelligence– Demonstrates and models self- awareness, self-regulation, empathy, and sensitivity in working with members of the public, colleagues, and staff.
Applicants for the Assistant Deputy Attorney General position must meet the following criteria:
- Admitted to the Colorado bar or clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar and be in good standing at the time of application. Applicants eligible to waive into the bar must be eligible to Practice Pending Admission.
- 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney that includes significant complex litigation experience
- Supervisory or management experience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
In addition to the criteria above, the ideal candidate for this position will also have the following attributes:
- Demonstrated dedication to client service
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and public service
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and believes that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- The final candidates for employment must successfully pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel website.
To view the full job announcement and to apply, please visit the State of Colorado jobs page.