Assistant Deputy Attorney General – Natural Resources and Environment
- Natural Resources
- Position Number:
- LAA 09826
- Salary Range:
- $142,464.00 - $183,600.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Monday, May 22, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Monday, May 8, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The Colorado Department of Law is seeking an experienced environmental law attorney who is dedicated to public service to lead work in the Natural Resources and Environment Section. The Assistant Deputy will collaborate with the Section Deputy Attorney General on management of the section, and will lead a team of talented staff who represent the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Colorado Energy Office. This is a unique opportunity for an attorney seeking high-level government and leadership experience. The Office of the Attorney General offers the opportunity to be involved in challenging, interesting, and meaningful work in a collaborative environment supported by leadership committed to effective and innovative legal representation.
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General will work in partnership with the Deputy Attorney General to oversee the Natural Resources and Environment Section (NRE). Attorneys in NRE work with their clients to protect and improve the quality of Colorado’s land, air, water, and wildlife. Attorneys in the section work in eight units representing various clients primarily in the Colorado Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), as well as several independent boards or agencies including the Colorado Natural Resources Damages Trustees and the Colorado Energy Office.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General is responsible for overseeing important aspects of NRE’s practice, promoting collaboration, engagement, integrity, and exceptional legal service across the Section and the entire office. This position will supervise a management team of First Assistant Attorneys General who represent the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Colorado Natural Resources Damages Trustees, and the Colorado Energy Office, consistent with the values of the Department of Law that recognize that members of the Department of Law are public servants, principled, innovative, and better together.
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General will oversee all representation for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, and NRE units including Water Quality, Hazardous/Solid Waste/Radiation, Air Quality, the Colorado Energy Office, Colorado Natural Resources Damages Trustees, and advise the Attorney General on federal environmental issues.. Responsibilities include overseeing the legal work of section attorneys; supervising attorneys, managing personnel, and hiring attorneys and employees within the State personnel system; implementing performance management and planning; prioritizing work for and delegating work to attorneys and staff; helping to develop the section’s strategic plan; working with the Attorney General on policy development, legislation, and media relations; and preparing monthly reports on section activities.
The Assistant Deputy is expected to participate actively in high profile or complex cases in the Section as needed, and will work with the client agency, collaborating as a problem solver and expert legal resource. The Assistant Deputy will work closely with the Section’s Deputy, the First Assistant Attorneys General, the line attorneys, and our clients in formulating strategy in rulemaking, litigation, negotiations, and general counsel work.
The Assistant Deputy will also ensure the Section consistently provides high-quality legal representation and works to develop a positive, engaged, and inclusive culture within the Section. The Assistant Deputy serves as a frontline leader and participates in management and leadership teams for the Section and the Department of Law.
Salary Note: The Department of Law uses a wage progression compensation model. Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. New ranges will go into effect for employees starting after July 1, 2023.
Salary will be paid on a biweekly basis for any new employees starting after July 1, 2023.
Current salary range is $11,000.00 – $14,500.00/month through June 30, 2023
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Assistant Deputy Attorney General is a part of the Department of Law senior leadership team. As such, the strongest candidates will demonstrate excellence in the following competencies:
Communication & Listening – Inspires confidence through active listening and effective communication with clients, leadership, colleagues, and staff.
Flexible & Adaptable Management – Accepts, adapts, and contributes positively to change; leads with new concepts and ideas; and encourages others to be equally adaptive and flexible.
Coaching & Developing People – Invests in our talent through coaching and sponsorship and by pushing individuals outside of their comfort zones to grow as professionals.
Creative & Strategic Problem Solving – Takes a result-oriented, open-minded, and innovative approach to overcoming challenges and dealing with crises.
Enterprise & Growth Mindset – Balances the goals of clients, leadership, colleagues, and staff with the broader interest of the enterprise.
Interpersonal Skills and Emotional Intelligence– Demonstrates and models self- awareness, self-regulation, empathy, and sensitivity in working with colleagues and staff.
Applicants for the Assistant Deputy Attorney General position must meet the following criteria:
- Must be licensed to practice law in Colorado or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment;
- 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney that includes significant environmental law experience;
- The ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a senior management team;
- Outstanding legal editing, writing, and analytical skills;
- Organizational and management skills; and
- Personnel management, supervisory, and coaching experience.
Our strongest candidates will also have most, if not all, of the following attributes:
- Diverse practice experience in environmental quality and familiarity with the work of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment;
- An openness to innovation and collaboration with colleagues and agency partners;
- Knowledge of state government and the state budgeting process;
- Demonstrated dedication to client service and public service;
- Ability to balance the needs of the clients and the Department of Law; and
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and public service.
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and believes that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel.
Please view the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.