- Office of the Attorney General
- Position Number:
- LAA 00532
- Salary Range:
- $60,000.00 - $75,600.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Monday, July 24, 2023, 12:00 am
- Work Unit:
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203 - Hybrid Work Options
- Release Date:
- Tuesday, July 11, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The Communications Specialist position is a great opportunity for a professional with demonstrated commitment to public service and a strong background in communications, media engagement, and content development. This position will work as part of a team to develop and execute communications and digital content to advance Coloradans’ awareness of the Department’s work, particularly regarding the Safe2Tell program. If you have a desire to use your communications and public relations skills to serve Colorado’s citizens and communities, we invite you to apply!
This position is open only to Colorado state residents.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Communications Team is a fast-paced, high-intensity work unit responsible for developing and driving strategic communications efforts to articulate and promote the mission and law policy priorities of the Department of Law (DOL). The unit also communicates information and newsworthy material to the media, and critical law and policy stakeholders. The unit responds to media and public inquiries about the Department’s activities and programs and keeps internal staff apprised of relevant news, events, and departmental policies and initiatives.
The Communications Specialist will create and implement proactive communications and public outreach efforts designed to provide Colorado residents with comprehensive resources and information about the Department and the Office of the Attorney General. This position works in collaboration with the Communications Director and Communications team members to:
- Ensure all Department websites contain updated and useful content.
- Identify new and creative ways to use digital and social media tools to disseminate information to the public on Department actions and key initiative areas, such as consumer protection and school safety.
- Lead communications development and support for the Safe2Tell program, including media affairs, content development, and social media planning and execution.
- Develop strategies and systems to evaluate the success of social media efforts and to grow audiences.
- Develop key topic talking points, press releases, print and digital resources, education and public awareness campaigns for the media and general public.
- Maintain awareness of media and emerging news that may impact the Department, or the clients represented by the Department.
- Maintain up-to-date media outreach lists and collaborate with the Communications Director to cultivate and manage positive media relationships around the state.
- Participate with the planning and implementation of public events and speaking engagements.
- Write, edit and distribute DOL employee communications including weekly and monthly newsletters.
- Provide writing, editing, and design direction and support for DOL’s sections, units, programs, and teams as they work on various projects and programs.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Minimum Qualifications and Substitutions:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution AND
- Two years of professional communications experience that included developing content (for example press releases, social media, web content) and media relations. Required experience must be the primary purpose (not ancillary to or an occasional part) of the assignment.
- Six years of professional communications experience that included developing content (for example press releases, social media, web content) and media relations.
- A Master’s degree in communications, marketing, or a closely related field AND
- One year of professional communications experience that included developing content (for example press releases, social media, web content) and media relations.
- A combination of college course work in communications, marketing, or a closely related field AND professional communications experience that included developing content (for example press releases, social media, web content) and media relations totaling six years of full-time experience/relevant education.
Necessary Special Requirement: Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Broad experience, beyond the minimum of two years’ minimum, with professional communications including content development and media relations
- Demonstrated experience with content development and independent development of communications materials such as press releases, social media content, talking points, fact sheets, web content, infographics, and internal communications materials
- Demonstrated experience with media affairs
- Some experience designing graphic design materials
- Experience developing creative educational campaigns and public awareness efforts for print and digital dissemination
- Spanish-language skills preferred but not required
- Experience developing and executing strategic social media plans for outreach and engagement in a professional capacity
- Familiarity with website content management platforms (eg. Word Press), Canva, and proficiency with MS Office
- Experience with web design
- Outstanding verbal communications and presentation skills
- Ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
This position will be eligible for hybrid work. The position will be required to work at least 3 days per week in office.
Please view the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.