Compliance Specialist II (POST)
- Criminal Justice
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $48,396.00 - $72,000.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Wednesday, January 24, 2024, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Thursday, January 11, 2024
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The P.O.S.T. Unit is seeking a detail-oriented compliance specialist to join their dynamic team. The Unit has direct impact to the State of Colorado and its residents by managing statutory and rule requirements and ensuring compliance of peace officers and academies throughout the state. This position supports the POST mission by completing compliance functions as it relates to basic, reserve, and refresher Academies. This position partners with Subject Matter Expert committees to ensure Colorado Academies are following required POST rules. If you have a passion for working with Law Enforcement and want to help improve Colorado Academies, this position is for you!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
This work unit exists to assist the P.O.S.T. Board with statutory and rule requirements for the approval of basic training academies; to ensure that peace officers applicants trained in other states meet the standard of certification; and, to qualify the training of all individuals seeking Colorado Peace Officer Certification. The unit manages the continuing law enforcement education of Colorado peace officers and maintains the training records and certification accomplishments of the Colorado peace officers recognized in Title 16, Article 2.5, part 100 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. The position receives and reviews peace officer training grant applications funded by the P.O.S.T. Peace Officer Training Project and to provides grant award funds for continuing law enforcement educational programs for POST certified Colorado peace officers. The team also manages Peace Officer Certifications, per Title 24, Article 31, part 300 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. In addition to those efforts, the Unit engages in community outreach to educate the public about POST.
This position supports the POST mission regarding compliance as it relates to basic, reserve and refresher Academies. Conducts announced and unannounced inspections of Colorado Law Enforcement Training Academies to determine compliance with POST Rules.
This position is responsible for all aspects of the Subject Matter Expert (SME) committees to include attending SME meetings, creating and editing forms, conducting follow up to actions items from SME meetings, and other duties associated with the SME committees. Reviews submitted documents and academy applications for content and rule compliance. Reviews documents for new academies, conducts follow up from SME committees as it relates to new academies, and ensures that new academies are in strict adherence to POST Rules. Prepares reports for the Compliance Manager, Academy Directors, Chiefs and/or Sheriffs. Reviews and approves instructor training programs. Tracks all full skills trainings. Determines eligibility for certification, proctors POST exams, and certifies officers. Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in the Department of Law.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Minimum Qualifications: Please document all relevant experience in detail on your application. Experience will not be inferred or assumed. Any part-time experience listed will be prorated.
- Five years of professional experience conducting compliance reviews, inspections of a program, or rule/law enforcement as the main function of your job. This experience must include utilizing rules, statutes and or laws to determine compliance standards.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in sociology, criminal justice, psychology, public administration, business or other closely related field; AND
- One year of professional experience conducting compliance reviews, inspections of a program, or rule/law enforcement as the main function of your job. This experience must include utilizing rules, statutes and or laws to determine compliance standards.
- A master’s degree or doctoral degree in criminal justice, sociology, psychology, public administration, business, or other directly related field of study
Note: Candidates possessing a foreign degree must submit a translation (evaluation) of their degree from an accredited institution, such as The National Association of Credential Evaluations Services in order to be given credit for the degree.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
Preferred Qualifications: In addition to the minimum qualifications, the preferred applicant will also demonstrate and clearly describe the following skills and experience in their job application:
- Experience working in a law enforcement setting;
- Additional compliance experience beyond the required one year;
- Knowledge of the POST certification requirements;
- Experience writing detailed inspection/ audit reports;
- Experience working with a Board and/or professional committees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Final candidates for employment must successfully pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
- This position is required to travel between 30-50% of the time throughout the state for inspections of Colorado Law Enforcement Training Academies and proctoring POST exams. Travel is typically closer to 30% of the time but may increase depending on volume of inspections. Must be able to travel independently as travel may require overnight stays and must be able to drive long distances. Position must have a valid CO Driver’s license.
- The POST unit works on a hybrid schedule.
To view the full job announcement, including information about compensation and benefits, and to apply, please visit the State of Colorado jobs page.