Paralegal (Health Care – State Services)
- State Services
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $56,028.00 - $67,200.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Friday, September 29, 2023, 11:59 am
- Work Unit:
- Health Care
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203 - Hybrid Option Available
- Release Date:
- Thursday, September 14, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
The State Services Section is seeking a Paralegal to join its dynamic and collaborative team! If you are interested in developing in your paralegal career and are eager to learn both paralegal skills and the Health Care industry, this position is perfect for you. This position offers the opportunity to be mentored by Senior Paralegals and Attorneys to develop your skills in this unique role that combines litigation and general counsel.
Sign-On bonuses will be paid based on the following timeline:
$500.00 – Time of hire
$500.00 – Time of certification (typically 12 months after hire)
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Health Care unit within the State Services Section, provides legal services to the Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing (the State Medicaid agency) and the public health programs within the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. On behalf of these two clients, the unit handles a full range of litigation, enforcement, procurement, compliance, and general counsel/advice matters. The unit provides both agency clients with legal opinions and memorandums on a wide range of issues and questions, as well as providing general strategic and legal guidance on a daily basis. On behalf of the State Medicaid Agency, the unit manages a wide range of provider and member appeals, litigates challenges to Department policies and regulations, engages with vendors in contract disputes, defends the Department in rate setting appeals, defends the state against adverse actions taken by the federal government, and coordinates inter-agency efforts at both the state and federal level when faced with provider terminations due to fraud or abuse. For the State Health Department, unit attorneys are tasked with litigating and advising on all health facility licensing and compliance issues, paramedic/EMT certification suspension or revocation matters, vital records disputes, challenges involving the medical marijuana registry, hemp regulation, and advising and litigating matters related to disease control outbreaks and investigations. The unit carries a heavy litigation caseload in a fast-paced environment.
The Paralegal provides litigation support and assistance to the unit’s attorneys and the unit’s Senior Paralegals. The Paralegal will support attorneys and the Senior Paralegals by performing work requiring an understanding of the legal and procedural issues that arise in the context of civil litigation court cases. The position also assists in gathering information, drafting basic pleadings such an entry of appearance and discovery outlines, e-filing, organizing pleadings and discovery, performing basic research, and coordinating witnesses and exhibits for hearings, trial, and oral arguments. This position efficiently proof and cite-checks briefs, as well as codes appellate briefs, and other assignments as needed. The position works independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced team-orientated environment. The Paralegal will become familiar with the clients’ case management system and assist with routine litigation activities pending at the Office of Administrative Courts and other venues. The Paralegal may be asked to assist with preparing routine pleadings and assisting with discovery. The unit routinely files briefs in various venues, so the Paralegal may assist with research, cite checking, proof reading, and formatting.
This position also supports the Section’s clients by providing back-up paralegal support to other paralegals in the Section. The position will also assist attorneys in maintaining assignment metrics to keep the client apprised of assignments and maintaining case tracking spreadsheets.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions at the DOL.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Minimum Qualifications: Please document all relevant experience in detail on your application. Experience will not be inferred or assumed. Any part-time experience listed will be prorated.
- Paralegal certificate obtained through either an American Bar Association (ABA) approved paralegal studies program or an accredited institution.
Note: Candidates possessing a foreign degree must submit a translation (evaluation) of their degree from an accredited institution, such as The National Association of Credential Evaluations Services in order to be given credit for the degree.
- Two years of work experience in a paralegal capacity which included conducting legal research, preparing drafts of legal documents and gather and compiling data from legal references and resources will substitute for the required certificate.
Preferred Qualifications: In addition to the minimum qualifications, if you possess any of the following specifically include the details on your application, as this information will be used to assess your qualifications and may be used to determine a top group of applicants.
- Professional work experience as a litigation paralegal;
- Ability to quickly and efficiently learn new information and technology;
- Experience with ProLaw or similar case management system;
- Experience with WestLaw or similar legal research engine;
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Experience working in a health care or legal setting;
- Strong administrative or clerical skills in a legal setting.
Conditions of Employment:
- The final candidates for employment must successfully pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
- Hybrid working arrangement for this position requires that the successful candidate works in the office a minimum of 3 days per week. Additional flexibility may be possible after a successful training period.
View the full job announcement for more information, including information about benefits and compensation, and to apply online.