Spanish- Language Outreach Specialist
- Division of Community Engagement
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $5,000.00 - $6,200.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Monday, April 10, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Outreach and Engagement
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Wednesday, March 29, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
This position is open only to Colorado state residents.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Spanish-Language Outreach Specialist will coordinate outreach programs designed to engage Spanish-speaking and historically underserved Colorado communities with an emphasis on consumer protection and community empowerment initiatives. This position will serve as a departmental point of contact for Spanish-speaking partners across Colorado, engaging on department priority topics that are most relevant to, and prioritized by, the communities they serve including consumer protection, youth safety and youth empowerment, responding to the opioid crisis, and defending rights and services for all Coloradans.
- Design and implement strategic outreach to Spanish-speaking and other historically underserved communities in Colorado and advance meaningful dialogue and connection with those communities
- Represent the Department at community outreach events and work with Department professionals and external partners to advance and inform departmental priorities, promote initiatives, and encourage dialogue
- Cultivate a network of community partners that serve Spanish-speaking Coloradans, develop and advance meaningful ties to those communities, and serve as a dedicated point of contact for this network; maintain an open dialogue to ensure relevant departmental resources are promoted across Spanish-speaking Colorado communities and that these communities are consulted in efforts to inform our work
- Engage with Spanish-language and underserved communities to learn about issues impacting their communities and develop resources and programming on these topics
- Bring back the information ascertained through stakeholder outreach, gather and analyze that feedback, and evaluate it relative to the department’s practices and programs
- Partner with the Department’s Communications team to develop and implement Spanish-language communications strategy, including web and social media, and
- Serve as the representative for Spanish-language media outlets on a range of topics
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
This job posting may be used to fill other positions at the DOL.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Necessary Specialist Requirement: This position is required to be bilingual in English and Spanish. Bilingual means the ability to read, write, and speak fluently in both languages. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be required to demonstrate these bilingual skills.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Two years of professional experience developing strategies for community outreach and conducting outreach events for the purpose of providing information, extending assistance or services, and soliciting involvement and input, to the public on behalf of a government agency, non-profit organization, charitable group, advocacy initiative, or other business. This experience should be the primary purpose of (not ancillary to or an occasional part of) the assignment.
- Written and spoken Spanish-language fluency required
- Experience developing outreach strategies and conducting outreach events for Spanish-speaking communities and a record of trust and dialogue with Colorado communities;
- Media training or experience, in English or Spanish;
- Experience working with underserved communities to promote education on consumer protection resources or practices;
- Demonstrated strong public speaking and communications skills
- Facilitation experience, including communication to engage parties in open dialogue to better understand a problem, build trust, and develop plans for next steps;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Project management experience
- Experience creating community education materials and outreach materials
- Experience identifying metrics and developing methods of evaluating effectiveness of outreach efforts.
Substitutions: Professional work experience developing strategies for community outreach and conducting outreach events may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the bachelor’s degree. A master’s degree in community/public engagement, communications, public administration, public relations, or marketing may substitute for one year of the professional experience.Note: Candidates possessing a foreign degree must submit a translation (evaluation) of their degree from an accredited institution, such as The National Association of Credential Evaluations Services in order to be given credit for the degree.
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants must pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment.
- A current valid CO driver’s license is required. This position requires travel by state or personal vehicle up to 20% of the time, including overnight trips monthly or as needed.