Assistant Attorney General- Insurance Unit
- Business & Licensing
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $83,292.00 - $120,000.00 Yearly
- Apply By:
- Monday, May 22, 2023, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Wednesday, April 12, 2023
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Business & Licensing Section of the Colorado Department of Law is seeking a dynamic and committed attorney to join its collaborative and growing legal team in the Insurance Unit! Attorneys in the Insurance Unit advise and represent the Colorado Division of Insurance (and its Commissioner) in a wide variety of interesting and complex insurance-related legal issues. Insurance affects every Coloradan, and the Unit helps the Division of Insurance achieve its mission of consumer protection and increased accessibility. The Unit offers the opportunity to practice in a challenging area of law that consistently generates novel questions regarding a wide range of legal fields, including healthcare law, corporate law, administrative law, tax law, and constitutional law.
The Insurance Unit is a team currently comprised of ten attorneys, including the First Assistant Attorney General and the Second Assistant Attorney General, who model the Department’s four values: public servants, principled, innovative, and better together. The Assistant Attorney General reports to the First Assistant Attorney General and works closely with the Second Assistant Attorney General and the other unit attorneys litigating cases and providing general counsel advice.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Insurance Unit advises the Division of Insurance (Division) and its Commissioner in all aspects of the agency’s work and pertaining to all types of insurance. The Insurance Unit attorneys work collaboratively to provide legal services to the Division and the Commissioner, and the successful candidate will participate in nearly all aspects of this legal work.
The successful candidate will represent the Commissioner of Insurance and the Division of Insurance.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- General counsel assistance to the Commissioner and/or Division in areas such as financial examinations, market conduct examinations, rate reviews, regulatory reviews of mergers and acquisitions, general legal compliance, reviews of proposed legislation, Colorado sunshine laws, rehabilitation and liquidation of insurance companies, and drafting and promulgation of Division regulations.
- Litigation on behalf of the Commissioner and/or Division primarily in the Office of Administrative Courts, but also in district and appellate courts. Litigated cases involve insurance companies and producers in matters pertaining to all types of insurance, including health, long-term care, life, property and casualty insurance, commercial bail, and immigration bonding.
In addition, this position will handle matters on an as-needed basis to assist other attorneys in the unit and the Business & Licensing Section.
Salary note: The Department of Law uses a wage progression compensation model. Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
New ranges will go into effect for employees starting after July 1, 2023.
Attorneys with less than 3 years of experience as a practicing attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General I (AAG I). The salary range for an AAG I is $83,292-$92,400/annually.
Attorneys with more than 3 years of experience practicing as an attorney will be hired as an Assistant Attorney General II (AAG II). The AAG II salary range is $96,420-$120,000/annually.
Current salary range is $7,100-9,000/month through June 30, 2023.
Salary will be paid on a biweekly basis for any new employees starting after July 1, 2023
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Qualified applicants must be licensed to practice law in Colorado or be clearly eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar. Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application before the first day of employment.
For this role, we are seeking candidates who have substantive and practical legal training, including clerkships and fellowships; experience as a prosecutor or litigator; and/or those whose diverse experience and background would add value to the Department of Law and our clients. A background in insurance law and/or administrative law is also helpful, as is work with experts in insurance matters. The ideal candidate will be skilled at maintaining strong client relationships; have a passion for both litigation and general counsel work and demonstrates a strong commitment to serving the public interest.
Essential skills for this position:
- Demonstrated ability to handle litigation independently and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to provide general counsel advice on complex matters
- Ability to manage a heavy caseload
- Excellent research, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Commitment and eagerness to serve the public in a consumer protection-related role
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Enthusiastic about working with a smart, collaborative, and fun team – while being able to work independently and exercise strong professional judgment
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates eligible to waive into the Colorado Bar will be required to submit proof of their completed application and application for Practice Pending Admission before the first day of employment. For more information about admission to the Colorado bar please review information on the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel website.
- The final candidate for employment must successfully pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and believes that a diverse work force adds quality and perspective to the services we provide to the public. Candidates with diverse qualities and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.