Senior Paralegal- Consumer Fraud Unit
- Consumer Protection
- Position Number:
- Salary Range:
- $5,463.00 - $6,695.00 Monthly
- Apply By:
- Tuesday, June 14, 2022, 11:59 pm
- Work Unit:
- Consumer Fraud
- Job Location:
- 1300 Broadway, Denver, CO 80203
- Release Date:
- Thursday, June 2, 2022
- Employment Type:
- Position Type:
Find a rewarding career making a difference: Join the Office of the Attorney General!
The Consumer Fraud Unit is seeking a Senior Paralegal to join its collaborative team! This position offers the opportunity to be involved in meaningful work that protects the consumers of Colorado. This position is best suited for an experienced Paralegal who thrives on providing exceptional litigation support and has an interest in serving the public. To partake in supporting these important efforts while serving the people of Colorado, apply today!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Senior Paralegal in the Consumer Fraud Unit provides professional and technical assistance to the unit’s attorneys as well as other units in the Consumer Protection section. This position will provide litigation support, trial preparation and assistance as well as interact with other legal representatives and the public.
The successful candidate will independently perform tasks such as:
- Preparing, reviewing, and editing pleadings including answers, motions to dismiss, and other routine motions, including cite checking of briefs
- Ensuring legal documents are prepared correctly and e-filed on time and in the proper court while meeting the document format requirements
- Preparing tables of contents and tables of authorities for certain briefs in compliance with internal style and format guidelines
- Organizing files and documents
- Calendaring deadlines
- Preparing exhibits and notebooks for trial
- Conducting witness interviews
- Drafting discovery and disclosures
- Conducting factual research to assist in preparing case strategies
- Drafting routine motions
- Performing document reviews and document management
- Assisting with pretrial preparation and while at trial by using trial presentation software
- Preparing trial subpoenas and coordinating trial witnesses
- Overseeing case management and e-filing systems
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions at the Department of Law.
This position is open only to current residents of the State of Colorado.
Salary note: Although a salary range is listed, salary will be set commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and in compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Qualified applicants must have:
- Paralegal certificate obtained through either an American Bar Association (ABA) approved paralegal studies program or an accredited institution; AND
- One year of work experience as a paralegal which included conducting legal research, preparing drafts of legal documents and gathering and compiling data from legal references and resources.
Substitutions: Two years of work experience in a paralegal capacity which included conducting legal research, preparing drafts of legal documents, and gathering and compiling data from legal references and resources will substitute for the required certificate. A Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school may substitute for the required certificate.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Effective oral and written communication with internal and external customers
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills
- Ability to research, analyze, and compile data
- Time-management skills, including the ability to multi-task and effectively manage competing priorities to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work well with a diverse range of customers and work collaboratively on a team
- Extensive paralegal experience that includes conducting legal research, preparing drafts of legal documents, and gathering and compiling data from legal references and resources.
- Ability to finalize pleadings including tables of content in preferred citation format
- Experience supporting attorneys with case management
- Strong litigation skills
- High proficiency in Excel
- Experience reviewing documents, discovery, and disclosures
- Familiarity with e-filing systems employed by various courts
- Experience working in a government or public service setting
- Familiarity with ProLaw or similar case management and billing system
- Experience working in a paralegal capacity for the State of Colorado
Conditions of Employment:
Effective September 20, 2021, employees will be required to attest to and verify whether or not they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Employees who have not been fully vaccinated may be required to submit to serial testing in the future. Upon hire,
new employees will have three (3) business days to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination. Vaccinated employees must provide proof of vaccination.
Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, as defined by the most recent State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and current guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.
View the full job announcement for more information and to apply online.