Student Loan Equity Act
Pursuant to section 5-20-203, C.R.S., on or after September 1, 2021, a person shall not offer or make a private education loan to a resident of Colorado without first registering with the Administrator. Per Rule 5, the documents and information required for registration shall be provided with the registration fee and annually thereafter on or before September 1.
Pursuant to section 5-20-203(3), C.R.S., the Administrator must provide certain information about private education lenders registered in Colorado including volume, default rate(s) and sample promissory agreement(s). This information can be found on the Registered Private Education Lender Information webpage.
The renewal for existing registrants is now available!
Renewals must be submitted online via the Licensing portal by the Licensing/Renewals Compliance contact or another designated contact. Existing portal users may use the Forgot Password? link on the login page to reset their password (the username is your email address). New users may use the New User? Register here! link to create an account.
Certain documents must be provided, electronically, as part of the renewal. Refer to the Checklist (below) for more specific information. Public and private nonprofit postsecondary educational institutions should use the forms for Alternative Private Education Lender. Start by completing the Required Information form, gathering promissory agreement(s), and any other required information.
Private Education Lenders
- Private Education Lender Renewal Checklist
- Required Information – Volume, Default Rate, and School List
Alternative Private Education Lenders
- Alternative Private Education Lender Renewal Checklist
- Required Information – Volume and Default Rate
Once you have all the required documents for renewal available, you are ready to renew:
- Login to the Licensing portal and select the Renew tab up top.
- Select the PEL number for which you wish to renew and click “Next.”
- Complete the renewal sections and provide all required information in order to submit the renewal.
- Once submitted, you will be able to pay the renewal fee online (or you may mail a check). Payment Information is also available in the Licensing portal with the Payment Information.
Per Rule 5, the documents and information required for registration in section 5-20-203(2)(b), C.R.S. shall be provided to the Administrator with the registration fee annually on or before September 1.
Public and private nonprofit institutions of higher education should use the Alternative Registration Form.