Become a Fellow with the Office of the Attorney General
The Attorney General’s Fellowship Program has been established to provide opportunities for new attorneys to gain practical experience in the public sector while enjoying the personal satisfaction of serving the residents of Colorado and our many state agency clients. Our work at the Colorado Attorney General’s Office encompasses criminal prosecution, consumer protection, civil rights, torts, contracts, eminent domain, administrative law, tax, environmental law, violence prevention programs, public health, school safety, energy and much more.
Through the Fellowship Program, new attorneys enrich their legal experience, broaden their exposure to the public sector, and assume substantial individual responsibility for their work. In addition to exposure to state agencies, Fellows may become integral members of trial teams. They also receive training and supervision in particular practice areas to enhance proficiency and develop skills while in the program.
The Colorado Attorney General’s Office fills these positions through a competitive application process. Successful candidates should demonstrate: interest in public service; history of academic achievement; participation in law journals and law school competitions; legal, professional, or personal experience related to the mission of the Office of the Colorado Attorney General; and participation in extracurricular activities.
The Colorado Attorney General’s Office seeks applications for its Fellowship Program from:
- Law students in their final year at an accredited law school scheduled to graduate in the Spring of 2018; and
- Current, full-time judicial law clerks who received their J.D. prior to 2018 and have not been hired to practice law in another setting.
The Fellowship Program begins October 2018. All individuals invited to participate must commit to a one-year term and must take the Colorado bar exam no later than July 2018. The annual salary is $50,000 plus medical/dental benefits. Note: Bar passage is required to join the program in October 2018.
Applicants must submit the following required materials and all materials are to be received no later than November 30, 2017. Please note that the deadline date has been extended to NOVEMBER 30, 2017. Selected candidates will be invited for interviews.
A complete application package is comprised of the following items:
- One-page statement or cover letter explaining both your commitment to public interest law and the sections you are interested in working with while at the Colorado Attorney General’s Office;
- OFFICIAL law school transcript (can be sent via e-mail) and current cumulative GPA;
- Contact information for three professional references;
- Resume; and,
- Unedited writing sample (6-page limit, please)